Report a bug If you spot a problem with this page, click here to create a Bugzilla issue. Improve this page Quickly fork, edit online, and submit a pull request for this page. Requires a signed-in GitHub account. This works well for small changes. If you'd like to make larger changes you may want to consider using local clone.
Promoting D Projects (or Internet Marketing 101)
So you've written a cool project in D, and it's ready for others to use or to get involved with helping develop it further. Just posting a zip file isn't going to work. All your blood, sweat and effort will just go to waste. You'll need to provide a way for people who want to know about your project to be able to find it.
The steps are:
- Create a web page for the project
- Let people know about it
Creating a Web Page
A good web page should include the following:
- The keywords and phrases that someone who would be interested in your project might type into Google to find it.
- The phrase D programming language somewhere on the page. This helps build the brand on the internet. If you just use D, nobody will find it via search.
- Screen shots of the program. Even better, for graphics and game demos, make a short video of it with Windows Movie Maker, which can capture movies directly from the screen.
- List the capabilities of the package and what it's good for.
- Identify who this package is intended for and why they'd want to use it.
- Copyright and license information for any source code. If you intend for it to be public domain, make sure to explicitly mark it so.
Promoting the Project
Submit the page or article to the following:
- digitalmars.D.announce newsgroup
- Google web crawler
- Google code search for source code zips
- dzone developer news
- beta marker for releases, including betas
- Digg under the Developer category
- Slashdot news for nerds
- gamedev.net anything game related
- Artima Developer developer articles
- download.com software downloads
- Wikipedia if it genuinely adds to an article on the subject
- comp.programming newsgroup
Send me a cut-and-paste html snippet to place on dlinks.
If your project is a conversion of an existing project to D, email the project leader of that existing project and suggest that he incorporate a link to your project on his page.
For the absolutely most effective results, submit articles to: